Insomnia is the difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep. People with insomnia experience fatigue, mood disturbances, concentrating, decreased performance at school or at work and low energy. Insomnia may be brief, also known as acute insomnia and normally happens if you are anxious about something such as an exam but the symptoms disappear after the exam is over. Insomnia may be chronic, lasting up to three nights in a week and can progress for about three months. Chronic insomnia may be caused by buy valium online no prescription unhealthy sleep habits, change in the environment or clinical disorders. Luckily, there are particular strategies that are highly effective in treating insomnia.
Ways to Treat Insomnia
· Healthy sleeping habits- This includes establishing fixed times that you must go to bed and specific waking time. You should also create some time to relax in the bed each day. Ensure you have a comfortable sleeping environment that is not noisy, bright, too hot or too cold. Caffeine causes sleep disorders hence a person should avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine. To ensure you have a good sleep avoid eating heavy meals at night.
· Cognitive and behavioural therapy- You can contact a cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) which helps you learn how to change negative thoughts that may be causing your insomnia. CBT has a proven track record for being highly effective in treating insomnia.
· Sleeping tablets- Also known as hypnotics, sleeping tablets promote sleep especially in cases of people with severe insomnia. Sleeping tablets are also used as a short-term means of easing insomnia. However, doctors do not recommend sleeping pills on a long-term since they mask the symptoms rather than treat the condition. ·
Over-the-counter sleeping pills- You can purchase antihistamine medicine which is normally sold over the counter. However, you should not take them regularly as they can have side effects such as causing drowsiness.
· Benzodiazepines are known to reduce anxiety, promote relaxation, calmness and sleep. Benzodiazepines are typically recommended for people with severe insomnia that is resulting in extreme distress. The drugs should not be used on a long term as they may cause dizziness, depression and difficulty n concentrating.
· Z-drugs- These drugs are equally effective as Benzodiazepines and they include zolpidem, zopiclone and zaleplon. The drug become less effective after being used for a long time hence should be used on a short-term. People even become dependent on the drug for using it a long time. For effective results use the medication for two to four weeks only.
· Relaxation training- This is a progressive muscle relaxation program that helps a person to systematically tense and relax their muscles in particular parts of the body. All tension in the body is relieved leaving the body calm and relaxed inducing sleep. The process involves exercises such as breathing exercises, meditation techniques, guided imagery and mindfulness.
· Stimulus control- This involves enhancing the relation between bedroom and sleep through limiting the number of activities one can do in the bedroom. A strict sleeping schedule involving only going to bed when sleepy and getting out of bed twenty minutes after waking.
Make an informed decision to employ the above strategies in treating insomnia and enjoy a more fulfilling and productive life.